Available for free on OpenExchange, the online shop of SDL Trados (nº 1 on the market of CAT tools). They are dictionaries which offer automatic suggestions of words in the target language to gain in productivity when translating. Here is the link of such tools on OpenExchange :
- They are ready to use (no need to extract lists of words to create them or use the AutoText of Trados to insert the words).
- They are compatible with some CAT tools.
- They come from a reliable source.
- You need to create an account SDL, even to download the free apps.
- Their .bmp format is not compatible with all CAT tools since they were made specifically by SDL engineers. Not to mention that this extension is also used as an image format, which is not so smart because some operating systems might interpret them as images.
- These files can only be opened with CAT tools, so that their relevence can only be confirmed in the long term by testing translations with these softwares.
The AutoSuggest dictionaries are very convenient but their use is limited to CAT tools. Their volume is probably limited since their content comes from an organization with its own interests.